Something to Consider
We expect a certain level of behavior in our members. We all strive to be good citizens. Unethical behavior such as theft, intravenous drug use, antisocial or violent behavior will not be tolerated – in or out of the studio. No matter what you did before, once you join, one of the commitments you make is to support this principle at all times from now on.
CODE OF CONDUCT
• Act in a manner that would credit Ving Tsun, your teacher, your school, your instructors and yourself. Remember that you are representing the school at all times, not just when you are in uniform.
• Promote the good name of Ving Tsun, your Sifu, your school and yourself, by the way you behave at all times.
• Be respectful of other styles, their instructors and students.
• Be quietly proud of being part of this ancient martial tradition.
• Always help others and only use your skills when all other means have failed.
- ALWAYS BE PUNCTUAL
- BE RESPECTFUL AND POLITE TO OTHERS (THIS INCLUDES OTHER PEOPLE, OTHER STYLES, THEIR TEACHERS, YOUR FELLOW STUDENTS AND YOUR TEACHER)
- IF IN DOUBT, ASK: IF YOU KNOW, EXPLAIN. BE HELPFUL RATHER THAN AUTHORITATIVE
- ALWAYS HAVE CLEAN ARMS AND HANDS
- WEAR YOUR UNIFORM TO CLASS, AND BE CLEAN AND TIDY
- ALWAYS WATCH, LISTEN AND LEARN
- THINK HARD TO UNDERSTAND YOUR STYLE
- TRAIN HARD TO PERFECT YOUR TECHNIQUES
- TRAIN SAFELY AND TAKE CARE OF OTHERS, THE EQUIPMENT AND THE PREMISES
- LOOK AFTER YOUR OWN TRAINING
- ABOVE ALL, RELAX AND ENJOY YOUR TRAINING
Conditions of Training in my school
- Everyone must wear the uniform, which is t-shirt and pants, or t-shirt, pants and jacket, or in summer Black shorts which are black not black and white or black and brown or some pattern with some or even mostly black, but only black.
- You must wear enclosed shoes, not sandals or thongs, nor kung fu shoes, but proper sports shoes.
- Fees must be up to date before training. It is up to the student to verify this and check things are entered correctly.
- When payments are made, the student should arrive ten minutes at least before class to smooth the procedure.
- All students should have their fees up to date, be changed, and ready to train when class starts, not just arriving on time, but being ready to train on time.
- If you are late, you cannot arrive after Siu Lim Tao has begun. Once we begin Siu Lim Tao (the first set) you cannot start (unless you are up to Chum Kiu).
- If you leave early, notify the instructor so they can allow for any training you need, especially beginners. If you leave early every class, or arrive late every class, we cannot teach you – you will miss important parts of training.
- Private classes and the practice sessions cannot be the only classes you attend. You also need to attend the formal classes.
- Do not chew gum in class. You can during warm-up but at no other time. This is for safety reasons.
- Anyone acting in the official capacity at the school, such as running classes, marking rolls, administration, running warm-up, etc. shall be treated with the same respect as shall be given to Sifu Barry, or Sifu Bill.
- Listen to what those more senior than you say. If in doubt, be polite, but verify in case you misunderstood, or they misunderstood the question. If still in doubt, politely verify with the instructor or the sifu.
- Those that teach do it for fun. No-one is forced to teach. If you do not get along with the teachers, then you may not learn, since they aren’t required to teach anything. I cannot teach everything myself either. So get along with your fellow students and seniors; you need them.
- Mind your own training. Do not assume that something someone else is doing is for you. It may be that it is remedial for something you do right, and if you practice it, it may make you wrong….
- Assist others in training; do not be selfish. Also, do not just assist since even beginners can throw a punch to practice a block or parry etc. so ensure that you can practice too.
- Ensure that you are clean and presentable. Uniform clean, and in particular your forearms and hands should be clean and hygienic due to the amount of contact we make.
- Turn off mobile phones unless on call in an essential position at work, wife is due at the hospital with your first born, or you have a relative dying in hospital. If the phone is more important than the training, you shouldn’t be at training.
- Avoid drinking or eating on the training floor. Do not smoke indoors at all.
The Traditional Regulations of Ving Tsun Kuen
• 遵守社会、武馆公德，爱国明礼，匡扶正义，尊老爱幼，负有社会责任感。（Obey the regulations, Understand the manner/bring out the integrity，Protect the weak and young，Love your country and respect your relatives/family/parents etc, Uphold the traditions (cultural, moral, ethical, etc, of your society, culture, family, martial art, everything；Use martial arts to protect integrity/justice (only use it for the right reasons)）
• 第二条 维护武馆利益，不得参与有损武馆名誉的活动，严格遵守武馆的各项规章制度， 自觉维护武馆的声誉。（Act in a manner that would credit Ving Tsun, your Sifu, your school, your instructors and yourself. Remember that you are representing the school at all times, not just when you are in uniform.）
• 第三条 发扬吃苦耐劳的精神，注重个人修养，端正自身态度，尊重师长，尊重他人和维护学员之间的平等、团结、互助关系。（Keep your spirit/Learn to control your intolerance，Control your lusts ）
• 第四条 必须坚持“冬练三九，夏练三伏”不惧寒风酷暑的习武精神。（Train hard Experience life – learn wisdom to deal with the world；Conserve the spirit (keep the spirit of Ving Tsun pure)；The techniques do not leave the body (implication is that if you train hard enough, they stay with you) do not go backwards on your techniques (always practice).）
• 第五条 学员之间应有虚心求教、不耻下问的精神，相互学习，相互友好切磋，以团结为本，以诚相待，不得恃强凌弱，严禁拉帮结派、打架斗殴。严禁成立非法团体，损害他人利益。（Brotherhood (group together and enjoy the group – not just Ving Tsun)；Restrict unnecessary fights (don’t fight unless you have to, but try to get out of them by other means – and never pick fights)）
• 第六条 学员应崇尚武德，相互尊重，团结互助。（Love your kung fu brothers，Respect kung fu morality）
Rules of my Classes
第七条 师父讲课时需认真听讲，上课时未经师父充许多不得私自实战，训练时按照师父要求完成动作，向师父请教问题要有礼貌。（Listen to and do what sifu says during the class, ask questions politely）
第十条 上课时不得迟到、早退，训练时间接打电话要请示师父。(Be punctual, no picking up phone calls unless sifu says yes.)
第十一条 不得穿戴任何饰物上课，以保证学员的安全。(No jewelery allowed )
第十二条 严禁在武馆内吸烟、说粗话、吐痰、吃东西，保持武馆清洁。(No swearing, no spitting, no smoking, no eating, no chewing gum is allowed during the class)
第十三条爱 护一切训练器材，未经许可不得擅自使用。如损坏，照价赔偿。(Treat the equipment right, do not touch them unless sifu says you can, if something gets broken, the one who’s responsible should pay.)